Colonial city Santo Domingo

It is a city full of magic and charms, declared by UNESCO as World Heritage Site in 1990. The Colonial City is one of the most important tourist destinations in Santo Domingo and the most visited in the Dominican Republic. The Colonial City is just the place where New World history began. It is located on the eastern side of the mouth of the Ozama River. It was founded by Bartolome Colon on August 5, 1496 and then transferred to the western side in 1502 by Nicolas de Ovando. It was also the first city to which the Spanish Crown granted the Royal Charter and headquarters of the New World administration.